Information for health and social care professionals.
Who can refer?
Any health, social or voluntary care professional involved in the care of an individual can make a referral.
Do consider referring someone who has a life-limiting condition to Saint Francis Hospice if:
- They have persistent, hard to relieve, overwhelming symptoms.
- Their condition is progressing rapidly.
- They are suffering emotional or spiritual distress in relation to their diagnosis or the progressive nature of their illness.
- They are poorly, and struggling with facing the end of their life.
- They have family or friends who are struggling with the situation - emotionally or practically.
- There are children in the immediate family.
- They and/or family friends have had multiple bereavements.
- You or your team feel out of your depth and are in need of help/support in your care.
What is the next step?
Refer a patient
The form below can be downloaded and sent by fax to 01708 758607 or emailed only by using nhs.net accounts to our hospice account NELCSU.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note this form was updated on 4th December 2020 and should be used going forward. Any locally saved versions of this form should be replaced with this new version.
Booking guidance and contact details
We will contact the patient once the services are agreed. If you need any advice or would like to discuss an individual's case before referral or if your referral is urgent, you can call our referrals team on 01708 758606 or the specialist advice line on 01708 758643. For all referrals, please ensure a referral to the district nurse team has been made.
For GPs only:
If you are using E-Referral system (Choose and Book) to refer please email UBRN to NELCSU.email@example.com. If the referral you have sent is urgent, please call the referrals team on 01708 758606 or the 24/7 specialist advice line on 01708 758643. If the line is busy please leave an answerphone message with your name, contact number, a short message and details of who you are calling about.
Monday to Friday 9-5pm we aim to return the call within the same day, outside of these hours we will respond at the earliest opportunity. For all referrals, please ensure a referral to the district nurse team has been made as we would not work independent of their services.
If you or someone you know would like to receive care from Saint Francis Hospice, please read our referral information for carers and family members.